Thanks to <a href=”http://www.randomduck.com/2007/06/26/on-may-16/”>RandomDuck
- 1620 – The Pilgrims sail from Plymouth, England, on the Mayflower to settle in North America.
- 1847 – Henry David Thoreau leaves Walden Pond and moves in with Ralph Waldo Emerson and his family in Concord, Massachusetts.
- 1870 – Louisa Ann Swain of Laramie, Wyoming becomes the first woman in the United States to cast a vote legally after 1807.
An interesting omission: Wikipedia has no mention of the 1972 kidnapping and murder of Israeli athletes by Palestinian terrorists at the Munich Olympics.
- 1766 – John Dalton, British chemist and physicist (d. 1844)
- 1928 – Robert M. Pirsig, American author (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
I claim bonus points for:
1937 – Sergio Aragonés, Spanish-born illustrator (Creator of Groo, the Wanderer)
1939 – David Allan Coe, American country singer (Writer of the perfect country and western song
1943 – Roger Waters, British musician
1947 – Jane Curtin, American actress (and “ignorant slut”)
1958 – Jeff Foxworthy, American comedian
2006 – Prince Hisahito of Akishino, Japan Imperial Family member
Swaziland – Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1968)