For David – No, I’m not doing the golf balls with toes thing (though it bears a try).
I found two bits of advice that seem to be working well for me:
1. Wear shoes with good arch support (I’m a high-arch kinda fella) ALL THE TIME; and
2. Do the foot hold that Dr. Benedict Digiovanni researched, described in the LA TIMES; oh and
3. Don’t run so f’n much.
The stretch, if you’re not inclined to click through to the LAT:
1. Sit in a chair, back straight.
2. Take off your shoes, making sure to check out your cube entrance to make sure the creepy guy’s not looking in.
3. Cross your right foot over to your left knee.
4. Grab your right toes with your right hand, and pull ’em towards your shin.
7. Repeat 10 times, holding each pull for 10 seconds.
8. Uncross legs.
9. Do this again for the left foot.
10. Turn around just in time to see boss walking in.
11. Fumble to get shoes back on.
15 minutes on the ‘mill at the gym this afternoon, and another 15 minutes on the stationary bike.